Welcome to my new website and my first ever blog post! I’m an obsessive knitter, a yarn dyer, and a hand-knit pattern designer and I go by the name of Samantha (though I prefer Sam as it’s shorter). The yarns and fibre I dye are sold through my business Gradiance Yarns, as are my patterns. And I specialise in dyeing protein based yarns such as wool, alpaca and silk that have a gradient or ombré effect, because those are my favourite ones when knitted up. Some of you will already know about my business and me, but here are some things you may not know…
- I was born in 1988.
- My star sign is Cancer, though I don’t really know what that means.
- I was born in the Year of the Dragon, which again I don’t really know what that means.
- I have 3 siblings – 1 sister and 2 brothers. I’m jealous that my sister can crochet and I can’t, despite my numerous attempts to learn. But she doesn’t knit and I do.
- I rarely watch TV, because otherwise I risk making a mistake in my knitting.
- But I do like to watch films and the occasional TV series, with TV-friendly knitting.
- The first film I watched at the cinema was Jumanji and the crocodiles scared me.
- My favourite colour is purple, though I have phases of obsession with other colours.
- The photo is of me on holiday in Iceland, where my knitting was very useful!
- I enjoy eating my food and I don’t count calories. I apologise in advance if I get excited and share a recipe I love with you!
- I consider the traffic light system of food labelling to be the “Yumminess Scale” with red being the yummiest (though I know that isn’t strictly true in all circumstances).
- Fish and Chips is my favourite meal (though Roast Dinner is a close second).
- I once fainted after having my hair cut. It was a hot day and I had to stand up the whole time. Sadly I did not land on a soft cushy pile of yarn, but a washing machine. Ouch!
- My favourite animal is the manatee.
- I want a pet tarantula. But I’m not allowed one.
- I have two cats and some fish instead and I’m always pulling cat hair out of knitting.
- My favourite book is Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss.
- My favourite flower is a lily, but I can’t have those because of the cats.
- I live in the countryside and enjoy spending time in my garden trying to grow vegetables and flowers (I’m not very good at it), even though it interrupts precious knitting time.
- AND I LOVE KNITTING AND YARN! (If you didn’t already know!)
So that’s a little bit about me, a slightly obsessive knitter. There are bound to be things about you that is based on your crafty obsession, so please feel free to share some of those in the comments. I’m sure we will have some in common!